This Patient Power web platform is an interactive online service operated by Patient Power. Patient Power conducts its worldwide business including operations relating to consumer health education, medical education, and health consumer market research in the U.S. and other countries in which it conducts business. The term “Patient Power ” (collectively “the Company” or “We”) is used throughout this web platform to collectively refer to Patient Power. Patient Power is committed to protecting the privacy of users of this web platform. This policy explains how Patient Power achieves that goal and gives you details of our privacy practices, including a) what information we collect about you when you use this web platform; b) how the information will be used or disclosed; and c) your rights with respect to our collection and use of your data.
Information We Collect and Why
We have access to the following categories of information regarding you and your visit to our web platform.
- Form Submissions
- Computer and Web Browser Profile
- Website Analytics
Only some of these categories of information identify you directly, but each category offers some information about your interests and activities that could be used to make inferences about you. The next section of this policy describes how the Company uses the information we collect.
Information That You Voluntarily Provide
Site Registration: We have constructed this web platform so that you may visit us and review information about the services we offer without revealing your identity or volunteering any personally identifying information. If you register to use the web platform’s special features and services that exist now or may be develope, either as a consumer or a health care professional, we will collect “personally identifying information” from you. Personally identifying information is information such as name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address that could be used to contact you. When this information is combined with any information on your health or medical status (pursuant to all applicable laws), we refer to the resulting information as “health-related personal information.”
Interactive Services: If you choose to participate in our interactive services such as questionnaires and surveys, you may disclose health-related information as well as personal facts that could be used to identify you or your family members. Providers who use our benchmarking services and quality of care assessments may choose to disclose facts about their practice and patients that are extremely sensitive, personal data. We do not request or require you to disclose personally identifying information in these forums, but apart from warning you to be prudent in your statements, we do not have the ability to keep you from disclosing private facts.
Correspondence with the Company: You may use our web platform to ask questions of health care professionals who work with the Company to address consumers and health care professional questions regarding health topics. If you communicate with or request information from the Companies’ personnel, they will have your e-mail address as well as whatever health-related and/or personal facts you chose to include in your e-mail. If you are reporting a product experience, we may ask you for specific facts, including patient initials, age, and gender, and prescribing physician. Federal regulations require us, on behalf of some medical product sponsors, to collect patient-identifiable information in order to file reports with the Federal Food and Drug Administration regarding the safety of our products.
Information That Is Routinely Collected By Our Site Technology
IP Address: We record the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer when you visit our web platform. Without more, the IP address does not identify you personally, but it is what allows us to maintain communications with you as you move about our web platform.
Cookies: We also collect information about your use of our web platform through cookies and similar technology. A “cookie” is a unique numeric code that we transfer to your computer so that we can keep track of your interests and preferences and recognize you as a return visitor to our web platform. Cookie technology allows us to collect “clickstream” data, which is not personally identifying information, but which reflects your activities on the site, including your interest in certain health care conditions. A cookie does not collect or keep your name or other personal identifying information, but when you revisit our web platform the cookie allows us to bring you the content and features likely to be of greatest interest to you based on your previous activities on our web platform.
How We Use Your Information
Whether you are a consumer or a health care professional, we use the information about your use of the services and activities on our web platform to monitor user traffic patterns and try to analyze what our users prefer so that we can design better services for you. The personally identifying information and health-related personal information that you provide may be used to create customized offers, information, and services tailored to your interests and preferences. Outbound contact with you, however, will only be sent with your permission.
Personally Identifying Information: You do not have to register to use most of the information and services available for consumers on our web platform. If you choose to register, we will use the personally identifying information you give us to send you an e-mail confirming your registration with our web platform. Upon your request, we may also, from time to time, send you e-mail with special promotions or newsletters with information that we think may be of interest to you.
Health-Related Information: If you choose to participate in our interactive services, we will collect the information you may choose to disclose and analyze it to discover new facts that could help us better understand how our services are used in coping with the diseases and health concerns we cover.
We may offer interactive services such as health questionnaires and care management tools that ask you to furnish health-related information about you or your family. The information you disclose and provide in interactive services may be linked (pursuant to all applicable laws) the personally identifying information you may choose to provide elsewhere on our web platform to provide us with personally identifying information about your health and health care. We may combine your health-related information with that from other web platform users to create summary data that we will use for our business purposes, including research to improve our services and analyses that may help us better market our products.
IP Address: In addition to using the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer to maintain communications with you as you move about our web platform, we also may use your IP address to personalize content provided on the web platform. We retain IP addresses, and we retain them together with personally identifying information.
Law Enforcement: In certain limited circumstances, we may be called upon to release your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests, taking appropriate measures to ensure that the requester understands the sensitive nature of the health-related personal information that they may receive. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting users who violate our rules or engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to other web platform users.
Some portions of our web platform provide special services and offer interactive tools that allow users to upload information for public consumption. In some cases, users can share experiences, give advice and connect with others. Please remember that any chat rooms, message boards and personal pages are public forums and personal information disclosed there will be seen by others. In addition, please exercise caution when posting information or providing information about yourself to others, especially contact information, such as street address, telephone number, or e-mail address.
Our Relationship to Third Parties
We pledge that we will not sell or disclose any personally identifying information or health-related personal information you provide on our web platform to an unrelated third party without your express permission, except as explained below:
- Cookies: We do not allow other web properties or third parties to use our cookies for their own purposes or to place their own cookies on your computer when you access services through our web platform.
- Vendors and Suppliers: We have relationships with different vendors and suppliers who help us design and maintain our systems and our computer security, respond to e-mail and customer inquiries, and create special promotions. We will not authorize our vendors and suppliers to use our customer information for any purpose not related to the Companies’ joint business operations.
- Co-Branded Sites: We will partner with other companies to provide you with content or services on a joint or “co-branded” basis. At a co-branded web property you will see both the Companies’ logos and the logo of the co-branded partner displayed on your screen. To access the services available on a co-branded property you may have to complete a new on-line registration form, and this registration information may be shared with the Companies’ co-branded partners. You should read the individual privacy policies of our co-branded partners, as these may differ in some respects from ours. Reading these policies will help you to make an informed decision about whether to provide your information to a given property. Remember, you may always opt-out of sharing your information with a partner by choosing not to use the service or content provided by the co-branded web property.
Other Important Information About Our Relationship With Third Parties
- Advertisers: We permit limited advertising on our web platform from respected health-related entities that financially help support our ongoing services to patients. All editorial control remains with Patient Power.
Our Children’s Policy
The Company web platform content and services are intended for adult users over the age of 13. The web platform is not designed to attract child users. If we learn that an under-13 user has volunteered personal or health-related information on our web platform, or that a provider has volunteered information about a patient who is identified as younger than 13, we will delete such information from our active databases in accordance with our deletion policy, which is described in the section on Your Privacy Choices.
Your Privacy Choices
When you access any interactive tool or service on the Company web platform, you will be asked to affirmatively choose (“opt-in”) to provide the requested information. You may always choose not to provide the requested information.
- Receive E-mail: When you register with our web platform, you will be given the option of requesting to receive e-mail with information we think you might find useful, including promotions, announcements of new services and products, and newsletters on particular health topics. If you decide, at any later time, that you no longer wish to receive these e-mails you may unsubscribe to our e-mail list by calling 1-877-232-5445.
- Accept Cookies: Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies, but if you reject our cookies certain of the functions and conveniences of our web platform may not work properly. Cookies and similar technologies are how we ensure that we can promptly retrieve and deliver the information to you when you use our web platform.
- Remove Personal Information: You may remove previously provided personal and/or health-related personal information at any time using the following options:
- You can email the following:
The information that you provide the Company is stored in servers that are operated and maintained by Patient Power and third parties under contract with Patient Power. Web platform users should be aware that it is not technologically possible to remove from our servers each and every record of the information you have provided to the Company. The need to back-up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of information about you or your health-related interests may exist in a non-erasable form that will be difficult or impossible for us to locate. Nevertheless, we promise that upon receiving your request, the Company will delete all personal and/or health-related personal information stored in the databases the Company actively use for research and daily business activities, or stored in other readily searchable media. In addition, we will use commercially reasonable efforts not to disclose any personal information stored in a non-erasable format after receiving your request for removal, except as required by law.
Please be aware that the Company may not comply with a consumer’s request to amend or remove information that was provided to the Company by a health care professional or a consumer regarding an adverse drug event.
- Communicate with the Company by e-mail. At our web platform consumers and providers may communicate with our staff to learn more about services. We also offer interactive tools that enable consumers and health care professionals to submit customized e-mail requests for information about diseases and therapies. Please be aware of the limits on the confidentiality of these e-mail communications. We will not disclose personally identifiable information that we receive in e-mail, but all e-mail transmissions are vulnerable to unauthorized interception. In addition, we remind you that e-mail sent or received through an employer’s computer or computer system is not confidential and may be the legal property of the employer.
Our Security Measures
We want your personal information to remain as secure as reasonably possible. Our success at improving our products and services depends upon your willingness to share information about your personal health and health care with our researchers.
- Data Security: We use encryption practices to help insure the integrity and privacy of some of the personal and health related personal information you provide to us. As an added security precaution, all personal and/or health related personal information is kept physically behind firewalls that meet or exceed industry standards to prevent intruders from gaining access. Although we will make reasonable efforts to protect personal and/or health-related personal information from loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party could intercept an Internet transmission, or that thieves will find a way to thwart our security systems.